What is Google Classroom?
Google Classroom is a free collaboration tool for teachers and students. Teachers can create an online classroom, invite students to the class then create and distribute assignments. Within the Google Classroom students and teachers can have conversations about the assignments and teachers can track the student’s progress.
Google Classroom is a free web service, developed by Google for schools, that aims to simplify creating, distributing, and grading assignments in a paperless way. Students can be invited to join a class through a private code, or automatically imported from a school domain.
Google Classroom makes teaching more productive and meaningful by streamlining assignments, boosting collaboration, and fostering communication. Educators can create classes, distribute assignments, send feedback, and see everything in one place. Classroom also seamlessly integrates with other Google tools like Google Docs and Drive.
Benefits of Google Classroom:
- Easy setup – Teachers can set up a class, invite students and co-teachers. On the Classwork page, they can share information – assignments, questions, and materials.
- Saves time and paper – Teachers can create classes, distribute assignments, communicate, and stay organized, all in one place.
- Better organization – Students can see assignments on the To-do page, in the class stream, or on the class calendar. All class materials are automatically filed into Google Drive folders.
- Enhanced communication and feedback – Teachers can create assignments, instantly start class discussions and send announcements. Students can share resources with each other and interact in the class stream or by email. Teachers can also quickly see who has or hasn’t completed the work, and give direct, real-time feedback and grades.
- Works with apps you use – Classroom works with Google Docs, Calendar, Gmail, Drive, and Forms.
- Affordable and secure – Classroom is free for schools, non-profits, and individuals.
What can you do with google Classroom?
- Create and manage classes, assignments, and grades.
- Give direct, real-time feedback and grades.
- Track classwork and materials.
- Share resources and interact in the class stream or by email.
- Submit assignments.
- Get feedback and grades.
Get Started With Google Classroom
- Direct any browser to classroom.google.com
- If you already have a Google account, sign in. Otherwise, you’ll need to create a free Google account and then log in.
- Classrooms are created by the teacher who then invite students to their class via email address of supplying their students with a class code. Some teachers have given the students the class codes, others are available on the D6.
- The students join the class from the Classroom main screen by clicking on the plus (+) sign and then “Join Class.” Then input your code, join the class, and start exploring assignments, questions, and discussions.
- You can access Google Classroom from any browser, or download the app for Android, iPhone, or iPad.