As you know, at High School, all Grade 8 to 12 learners have to do between 12-16 hours of volunteer work per year. We have just over 900 boys at DHS and if we average the volunteer hours to 14 hours, we have potentially over 12 000 volunteer hours available to be used. This translates into over 1 500 volunteer days (working on an average of an 8-hour work day)! That is over four years of volunteering time!
At DHS we want to use this more effectively as most boys are hastily doing these volunteer hours the weekend before the due date and offering little of real value to the organisations or communities they should be serving.
• Identify projects in Durban and its surrounds that we could partner with and place boys at;
• Develop relationship with these partner organizations through visits, correspondence and evaluation of volunteer work;
• Identify specific jobs, activities within projects and publish list for boys to see and apply for;
• Develop database of all of the above and a system of application and approval for boys to be placed at a particular project;
• Monitor boys’ placements;
• Do general volunteer training with boys before release to projects;
• Bring on board other partners (business, individuals, parents, etc) to assist with contributions to projects we are working with;
• All admin related to this portfolio.
Please note that this is a volunteer position. If you are interested in the above position, please contact Roy Hellenberg at firstname.lastname@example.org