All Parent Information Evenings, Grades 8 to 12, have took place over the last week. The enduring message from Mr Pinheiro at these meetings has been an urgent need to return to normality in 2022. The informal theme for the year, as introduced to the Boys, is one of “NO EXCUSES”. This means going back and reinforcing the basics of what School is about and what we stand for. These basics will impact on all the expectations of a DHS Boy in terms of his behaviour, his appearance, his achievement in the classroom as well as his participation in the sporting and cultural activities on offer. We make no excuse for demanding the best of our Boys in all these areas. This is what makes DHS the great school that it is.
The Boys have experienced their first week of Electives where they have had the opportunity to move about and experience the electives on offer. Apart from the Sports Academies, there is a vast range of activities/courses on offer for a DHS Boy. These can be viewed using the following link:
Congratulations to the following:
- Staff who received their 1 Year Ties/ Scarves:
Mr Whitehorn, Ms Singh, Ms Naick, Mr Mc Namara, Mr de Koker van der Sandt, Mr Matthysen, Mr Matizakurima, Mr Makhetha, Mr Sorensen.
- Staff who received their Long Service Awards:
Ms Dickinson – 5 Years, Ms Francis – 5 Years, Ms Kistiah – 5 Years, Ms Rungan – 5 Years, Ms P Sibisi – 10 Years, Mr Zulu – 15 Years, Ms Henley – 20 Years, Mr J Sibiya – 25 Years, Ms Bisschoff – 30 Years.
- Our Director of Hockey, Mr Baker has achieved another milestone in his phenomenal coaching career. He has been appointed as the Head of High Performance for KZN Hockey.
- DHS are immensely proud to announce that Daniel Bennett has been selected by GOLFRSA to represent the Protea South African U19 Team!
- Mr Grant Phipson, a DHS Old Boy, on being named as Acting Principal of Durban Preparatory High School. Mr Phipson takes over the reins of another DHS Old Boy, Mr Barry Wilson who retired at the end of 2021.
- Muhammad Mall (Class of 2020) on his recent selection for The South African Amateur MMA Championship in Dubai. Muhammad won Gold in the 2021 National Championships and also trains MMA, Jiu-jitsu and Boxing.
It is truly exciting to see the progress on the new Hockey Astro Turf. This has not been an easy project and it has had its challenges. Each day brings a new surprise. This is to be expected from a property that is as old as Durban High School. The team managing the installation have remained professional throughout and have been great problem solvers. We are grateful for the Durban High school Foundation Trust and their support of this project.
There are a number of Open Evenings taking place next week and we would like to welcome all boys and their families to Durban High School and we hope to be your school of choice for 2023.
Deputy Head Master